Sunday, February 2, 2014

Forgiving......

The Beast is finally finished...  But it is a mess.  I loved that quilt top - especially since it was my first.  It sat in my closet for a year and a half until I decided that 2014 was the year that I was going to complete all the quilt tops into actual quilts before I start another one.  I had four....  

After I quilted a couple of tablerunners and felt a little confident...  I pulled the Beast out.  

Meandering.... meandering...  and then... pulling, pulling, pulling...  It is heavy.  

My shoulders started to tense. I am going to mess this quilt up.  Then I noticed that there was a pucker in the back.  I had to rip out some stitches.  Oh no, I am going to mess this quilt up.  

Then finally, after a couple of days.  It was done.  Was I happy with it... not as much as when I finished the top, but I was happy that the quilting was done.

Now on binding.  

Measured, calculated and measured and calculated at least two more times before I cut....  

Decided to machine bind the Beast.  I just could not see it getting done before the end of winter... 

So last night was the night.  



I watched Missouri Star Quilt Company's tutorial over and over and thought I had it down pat.  

Well, after using one pretty stitch and then another... finally just went for the straight stitch.  Mind you by this time I was so tired that I did not rip out any of the other stitches...  

So the Beast has many different quilting styles, binding and decorative stitches.  

But we slept under this quilt last night.  My first quilt top. The first large quilt completed.  

I must be more forgiving....  remember this is a learning process....  something fun to do, something to share....  

yes, more forgiving to myself and 


especially to the Beast.  


12 comments:

  1. Congratulations!! Now the smaller quilts will be a breeze.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! And thank you! I am excited to start a new quilt - of course a much smaller one :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Awww... thank you so much..... it is truly by the encouragement I receive from so many - especially you!

      Delete
  3. Oh but it's so beautiful, and every stitch your own! Well Done!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww... thanks Annette! Yes, every wonky, loose and funny little stitch is all my own!

      Delete
  4. Good for you, I know how you feel, but I really do like it and it is usable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww.. thanks Terry.... and you are so right - we can use it! (We just won't look to closely at it)

      Delete
  5. It's not about perfect, but joy in the process...so yes,do be forgiving to yourself and be happy for the hard work you put into the quilt. It is lovely. Just think of everything you learned along the way. And, your first quilt is now a part of your heart and home. Not many choose a large quilt as the first one to make, so you are most accomplished for completing it and not giving up. You did a fantastic job! We are celebrating for you and with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Celia! Thank you so much for your wisdom and really really kind words. It is definitely with all the encouragement from others like you that help me. Take care!

      Delete
  6. it looks great. it is a learning process. when I look at some of the first quilts and processes I have done I too cringe and go "ew, I thought that was ok". BUT that was then and this is now and I am at a different place in my quilting. enjoy your quilt and the process and with practice you will get better and better. too much today is based on perfection. But like the Amish say, only God is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I certainly learning that now! I am learning to celebrate in the imperfections.... I love that Amish saying! Thank you so much for the encouragement! I am letting go!!!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment..... I love hearing from you....