Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Most used room in the house.....

Is it the kitchen?  The living room?  The den? 

Nope.  Lately it has been the sewing room.  

One of my goals of 2014 was to spend at least 30 minutes each day creating.....  I think I have been doing just that and probably making up for 2013 too. 

The first ever quilt top has now been quilted.....  (this also whittles away at another one of my 2014 goals - getting the quilt tops finished) 


Now time for binding and that is a story all in itself.  I made this quilt top over two years ago and wanted to use the brown fabric to do the inner border and bind....  however when I pulled the fabric out two years later it certainly did not look like enough to me....  so on to the hunt for the elusive brown fabric... quilt shop after quilt shop.  No luck....

After exhaustively looking and touching all the fabric.... I settled on a greenish fairy frost...  I had not washed the new fabric yet, so I decided to go ahead and use the "little bit of" brown fabric I had to bind the Disappearing Nine-Patch. 



But after second glance and actually folding the brown fabric selvage to selvage - it appears I have enough to bind the Beast.  (Yes, the first ever quilt top has been re-named the Beast).  

So as any good little sewist would do.... I measured once, twice and three times and then cut.... I have plenty.  I have decided that I will go against all my teachings and will machine bind the Beast.  I just do not have it in me to hand sew him....  

While measuring, re-measuring and doing the happy dance.... I was also sewing together the first block for the 2014 Block of the Month.  I met with my quilty friend on Monday for lunch, the aforementioned fabric hunt, and some sewing time in her darling (and much used) sewing room.  We sewed and learned "squaring up" together.... of course, we laughed and laughed....  

I finished up the block tonight.... 


I just love these fabrics... This will be my first quilt all done exclusively with batiks... very very very happy....  

I think the most used room in the house is the best room in the house.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment..... I love hearing from you....