Sunday, March 17, 2013

I waited.....

Got some much needed time in the sewing room today.  Still have plenty to do tomorrow....  You see, I waited.  That's right - I waited until the last minute.... okay not the very last minute - but pretty darn close.  I have a couple of deadlines....  This week is Mystery reveal at my favorite quilt shop and the following day it is time for BOM.  And I am only half-way through the construction of the mystery quilt - not even close to cutting or sewing a border on....  and until today - had not made the tester block for BOM....  

Yes, I waited... much too long. 

Oh it felt good to get in here and cut, sewing, press, cut, sew and press...  ahhhhhh.....  

But first I got to spend some time with some of my favorites - the Prayer Shawl ladies....  It is great to spend two hours every month with these women who love to work with yarn and love to do it for charity!  I have written about these awesome friends in several earlier posts... here and here .....  what is really fantastic is that a friend of mine from high school joined us today.  We had reconnected over Facebook - but have not seen each other in over 30 years! 

So while talking (and I do a lot of talking) I got to work a little bit on my newest baby afghan... it is new for me to switch colors every row and I really had not wanted to attempt it because of the time it takes to tie in every loose strand - but this technique uses only three colors and you never cut - until the end that is... you just carry it up to the next row... LOVE THIS....  Another great reason for spending time with my favorites... I learn so much!  

I am really loving working in the bright colors too.  All Red Heart - Bright White, Spring Green and Turqua.  


Once home, out of the visiting clothes and into something way comfy... I started cutting the fabric for the BOM tester block.  Can I just say that I am still in Template Love? And it has not waned one bit!    

This second block is called Mexicali Rosie and it is an awesome block.  


Having a test run is a great idea... there are areas that need work on this one and practice, practice, practice, only makes you better.... so the real block will be cut and constructed tomorrow!  

I am so looking forward to more time in the sewing room... because I still have SOOOOO much to do... but the best part about waiting is that I love every crazy, wonderful, silly, creative, satisfying moment when I finally get there!  


8 comments:

  1. You are so busy! Your blanket has such lovely fresh colours and I am in love with your quilting! Oh for the time when I can have a go. Enjoy the rest of your weekend. Chel x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chel! What an awesome comment! Hope you have a great rest of the weekend too! And hope you find some time!

      Delete
  2. Busy busy busy, I bet it was great reconnecting with your friend, I had that experience a few years ago and I'm so glad we got together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice stitch on the afghan. i;m not familiar with it. I also don't like weaving in all the ends so most often choose a single colour.
    Your block looks great. What type of templates do you use? I really like the Marti Michell ones, specially for flying geese.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Heather. The templates I am using are Marti Mitchell!!! They are so easy to use and once the cutting is all done - the sewing goes so fast! I think it is a true sign of a good template when the pieces go together so well!

      Delete
  4. What a pretty block! The neutral colors are beautiful. The blue and green of the afghan is also very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Gail - your kind words are so encouraging for me!

      The fabric for the tester blocks I am making (before the real ones)are from fabrics I inherited from my grandmother's stash. She was a miniature artist - so she chose her fabric based on size of print rather than thread count or durability. So it is a lot of fun to work with her "delicate" fabrics.

      I am loving the bright colors of yarn too!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment..... I love hearing from you....