Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ash Wednesday.... I am a Rebel.





At this time of the year, we see and hear so much about what everyone is "giving up for Lent."  It runs the gamut from foods to video games.  

Easter Sunday is awesome... lots of food, lots of celebration and giving praises for our Risen Lord.  So getting to eat or do something that was missing for 40 days.... well, that just makes the celebration all the more awesome!   

But, I am a Rebel.  I do not give any thing up for Lent. 

I understand that when we give up something that takes our time and focus away from God..... it is a good thing.  In fact, a very, very, very good thing.  

The rub for me..... if the idea is to give something up that draws your attention, focus and life away from God.... then maybe it should be given up not just for Lent - but for.......

forever. 

In my devotions today, a reading jumped out at me:  


For you have no delight in sacrifice; if I were to give a burnt offering, you would not be pleased.
 
The sacrifice acceptable to God is a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.  

Psalm 51:16-17

The sacrifice of a broken spirit, a broken and contrite heart.... 

Look to God for healing.

Look to God for Love. 

I want to heal.  I want to love. 

I am not going to give anything up.  I am going to add something.....  love.  

I am a Rebel.   
  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment..... I love hearing from you....